Thursday, May 14, 2015

Doodling Time

I feel like it has been forever since I posted a blog!! I am so sorry, my Hubby has been on vacation and we as a family have been spending time together. I have been enjoying the low maintenance of the break, it has me itching for summer!! Ready to relax, enjoy the beautiful weather and sunshine and maybe even get some extra playing time with my scrappy goodies! Since we homeschool the school year has taken away of my own freedoms of having extra time to do things around the house, whether it's cleaning or reading or maybe even scrapping. And overall I am good with that. I love teaching our kids, watching them learn and grow. I know these days of them being little and imaginative are limited. I am glad I have scrapbooking to hold on to all these fun moments in life, because I have a feeling that as time goes on it will be harder and harder to remember every little detail. 
Last week I finally was able to dig into my new Clique Kit, recently I switched kit clubs because I really just needed a change. I thought about not getting a kit, but one draw I like about many kits is the exclusive items they have. I love seeing others creativity and interpretation of items that are put in a kit. Clique Kits generally just uses one collection for their kits. I like the idea that I can get most of a collection in one kit for a good price, then I can just buy odd and end embellishment, paper and other goodies that match that collection. 
For the first layout I used my kit and the Amy Tangerine Rise and Shine collection. I really wanted to get down and creative. It is always hard for me to cut up papers at first. And I find creating my own backgrounds I can get the most of my papers cutting it layers and getting multiple uses out of my papers ad the collection. I started out by using a piece of white yardstick and using bright watercolors on it. I used yellow, orange and pink which matched this collection perfectly. Then I looked at the doodles already in the collection and took a black marker to that watercolored cardstock. At first I was a little worried about just using a black marker right away without knowing what exactly I was going to doodle. 


  Part of what makes the doodling cool though is its imperfectness. So I embraced that black marker!! I love how it turned out as a whole. I also added a little silver gel pen in the doodles. I knew one of the papers in the collection had silver in it, so I knew if I used that it would tie in the papers and the doodles. 
I knew I wanted to scrap this professional photo taken from my brothers wedding last summer. The photographer was really wanting to get tons of fun shots, among all the traditional shots for weddings. It was fun to pose silly and act young during this fun and exciting day. The picture is of all our shoes. My sister in law wanted all our shoes to match and look perfect, which they really did. I love how the photographer picked up on this fact!! And let me just say my sister in laws shoes are amazing, and not your traditional brides wedding shoes, I love how all our shoes compliment hers. I really wanted to use papers from the Rise and Shine collection that mirrored the really fun vibe of the photo. I picked out papers in Yellow, Orange and pink to match the watercolor background. I also really loved the blue and silver paper and had to use it on this layout. 
I tend to do that when I first break in to a collection or kit, find one of my favorite papers and use it on that layout. I can't resist using that paper first before I find another paper I love just as much!!I also decided I liked the natural look of the craft paper cut parts from the collection too, and cut some of those to use. I added some silver to help tie that into the layout. 


I centered the photo for a change. I really like the way the layered papers looked on diagonal sides of the photo, matching the flow of the doodles. I also really didn't want to cover up the doodles to much, they are such a fun part of the layout. I normally don't care if I cover up much of the background I make, but in this case it just didn't feel right. 
I added a small clustered to the bottom right hand to draw the eye from top to bottom of the layout. I used papers from the main cluster to keep it the same and added some yellow paint to the craft cut apart on the bottom. I used an exclusive wood veneer to add another shape to the cluster. 
Using the craft Amy Tan Thickers I spelled out shoes and then I decided they needed to be silver and used my paint pen that. Using Simple Stories block alphas I spelled wedding. I like how they look like part of the layers at the top of the photo. 
 
 I added some flair, epoxy stickers and enamel stars and dots to finish off the layout. 
This really was such a fun layout to make!! I love how all the colors from this collection match the spring/summer vibe I have been in. 
You can watch the process video I made here, https://youtu.be/Z1KsILkgGQ8. 
I hope you all have a fantastic and inspired weekend!!!
Aloha, Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment