Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Where did my Mojo run off too??

Maybe it's the sunny weather, the fact Netflix has added a gazillion new shows or I am just over thinking it, but this past week or so I have been feeling my mojo at an all time low. Just When I finish a layout I love I go to start another one and I draw a blank. I hate that feeling!! I love to create, I love documenting those moments we have as a family that remind me we are normal. It is my therapy session and my "me" time. And I just want to be productive and Love what I work on. So what do we do when that just isn't happening? I love watching Youtube process videos but even that can overload my creativity when is lacking. The other day what I decided to try was keep things simple and use a sketch. It takes the pressure off of me to create something amazing on this blank canvas and just have fun with a fun photo and pretty paper!! I looked on Pinterest and the first sketch I found I used, no extra thinking. It just happened to be a Susan Stringfellow sketch, which she always has great and fun sketches to get you started. I used Sketch 143 from www.sketchsavvy.blogspot.com
One thing I also do when I am feeling Blah about my work is to go through old photos and pick one that is my favorite or just jumps out at me. The other day I was looking through photos from a few years ago, when my girls were really young, they always smiled amazing in pics and were so cute!! I found a photo of Leilani and Cayden at the splash pad when we lived Texas. It was their favorite place to go in the HOT summers. 
I used some old patterned papers that I had in my stash that I loved the colors and mixed them with some new patterns for this summer, like Pink Paislee Citrus Bliss. I love this collection, the muted summery colors are so fun. They worked well with the teal colors I was wanting to use. 
I had a tag with a watercolored typewriter that was so adorable that I wanted to use, and I knew it would be perfect for layering on. I layered a bright colored tiny envelope and a metal teal embellishment from Basic Gray. Adding a word sticker from Dear Lizzy with an enamel dot and an AC geo tag finished that cluster off well. I added a camera in teal and a heart up above the tag cluster. I love the way that spot turned out. Because I used a sketch it gave me the space to focus my creativity on the clusters and and where my papers were going be. That part was mapped out.
This sketch almost looks like a grid style with a cluster and photo next to each other. I added layers behind each photo to add a little more interest to the pretty simple layout. I tried to pick patterns that were subtle and staying close to the teal and pink color combo. I really wanted the focus to be on the clusters of embellishments and the photos. So the soft tones under the photos made the photos stand out but not over the top. 
The second cluster was suppose to have another tag, but I really wanted to use a cut out word. I found a pack of Me & My Big Ideas pack of cards in an instant, which were die cut cards with words in the middle. The teal dot Hello was perfect for that cluster. I added a pice of patterned paper underneath to help that Hello to pop out and off the page. I layered a small banner and couple small die cuts and a heart pop up sticker at the edge of the card, tying to it to the background. The Dear Lizzy Serendipity enamel dots were just the right color to match the papers I used on this layout. 
On the banner of that cluster I started the title. I used Elle Studio Alphas in a soft pink for the word Splish. What doesn't say I love playing in the water, like Splishing and Splashing!! I had some solid gold Thickers called Gilded that I hadn't opened and was dying to use and dug those out for this layout. I think it's important when you are in a lull of creativity to use products you love. Products you have been meaning to use but are so pretty they have been sitting on the shelf collecting dust. Sometimes using pretty stuff and products that tug at the heartstrings sparks that fire you need to keep on creating layouts and projects you love. 
I finished with the date stamp near the clusters and adding journaling. I love how this layout turned out. It really makes me want to go back and find some more older pictures of my beautiful children and scrap them. It also made me realize how much I missed making on own backgrounds. So the next layout I make I will be making sure I do that. I take out those paints, the stencils and get dirty!! Play with the products I love so much and make my layouts more me!! 
I hope you guys are creating layouts you love! I hope you find the things that inspire you to go back to your desk and create more! Look in the unexpected for inspiration but hold on to the things that work too. I hope you have an inspired week!!
Aloha, Hannah


 Keep a look out on my YouTube channel for the process video for this layout, it should be out sometimes this week!!


No comments:

Post a Comment