Friday, May 22, 2015

National Scrapbook Day YouTube Hop

I know National Scrapbook Day was a few weeks ago now but I am still thinking about what good fun I had!!I loved spending the day and even more sitting at my desk creating. Even if it was crazy because my kids wanted to se what I was doing every five minutes, or the hubby needed help finding peanut in the cabinet to make lunch, or I needed to make a fun the the store to get marshmallows for Smores on the grill!! It was still fun and I loved having the opportunity to spend all day crafting and playing with pretty paper. 
This National or should I say International, since many scrapbookers from all over joined in the festivities, I joined many YouTube Scrappers for a YouTube Hop.  Over at the NicoleJones911 Facebook group a group of us were wanting to do something fun for the community and who doesn't like a little challenge?! The Theme of the Hop was our "A Few Of My Favorite Things". We used the Sound of Music song as our inspiration, we used our favorite technique, color, paper and embellishments on the layout. I suggested we scrap a picture of something that is our favorite and maybe use a line from the song and turn it into something scrappy on the page. It was a blast watching everyone's videos and seeing some of their favorite things. After I tell you a little about the layout I created for the Hop I will post a list of the YouTubers who participated in the Hop so if you want you can check out their layouts. 
On to the Layout I created. I love watercoloring on my background. I wanted to do something I haven't done before and a way to keep my watercoloring fresh. I used various old rub ons from Maggie Holmes Open Book, Jen Hatfield and WRMK Jubilee. I just scattered them through out the white cardstock randomly. Then I took a teal color painted over large sections of the cardstock and over the rub ons. The rub ons kind of act like a resist so around the rub on it is white. This just makes the rub ons pop off the colored sections. I add a few sections scattered amongst the teal in pink. I really love the way pink and teal look together. It is probably my favorite color combo right now. 
I knew I wanted to use three photos so I made sure I printed those at about 3x4 size so I could stretch them across the bottom half of the paper. Underneath the photos, which I wanted to layer patterned papers and embellishments. I love the way layers of papers look with bits sticking out. I chose papers that were back and white, teal and pink. I thought they would mimic the way the background looks. 
I picked photos of my family and I, since they are my favorite things! When I was young I had tons of health issues. I wasn't sure for a while what my future would look like and if I would even have kids. But I fought for life and now I have the family that I had always wanted. For that I am blessed, I have an amazing family. These photos were taken around Easter.  I love how cute Leilani and her dad look together, they are always being so goofy together. Sam is so adorable in his Sunday Easter outfit. He was so silly while I was trying to get a nice Easter photo of him, posing in silly poses. Cayden and I are smiling so nice at our Easter family dinner at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. 
I finished off the layout by tucking bits and pieces of ephemera pieces around the photos. I used a mix of Maggie Holmes, Amy Tan and Crate paper pieces. I also added enamel dots and Heidi Swapp Black Velvet mist splatters to create extra interest on the page. 
For my title I used a few different fonts, I love to do that mix the fonts up! I used some black Thickers that matched with all the rub ons. Then I found some black and gold Maggie Holmes Open Book block alphas, they just look so elegant. And then finished with the Dear Lizzy wood grain Thickers, which I wanted to stick out more from the rest of the title. 
I really enjoyed making this layout and putting everything together so we could do a fun YouTube Hop for National Scrapbook Day. I loved even more watching all the videos on that Saturday and Sunday while I scrapped. I am grateful for all the ladies who participated and made something for the HOP!!! It was a total SUCCESS!! 
Here is the list of all the YouTubers who joined in and made a layout for NSD, just click on their name and you will directed to their video!!
If you click on my layout it will also direct you to my NSD video!!

Jen Stokes   (Scrapsbyjen) 


I hope you all are inspired by the work you were able to do around NSD!! If not guess what, NSD comes around next year, and I am possible you will find me scrapping along with you again!!
Aloha and have an Inspired weekend!!!
Hannah







No comments:

Post a Comment